Evidence to support your benefit claim

Most of the evidence and information we need for your claim can be verified through other sources (for example, HMRC and the DWP).

In some cases, you might need to give us more evidence to help complete your claim faster. The application form will tell you how to do this.

Examples of when you need to give more evidence

ExampleWhat you'll need to give us
You or your partner haven't claimed housing benefit or council tax support from us beforeProof of your identity and your National Insurance number
You or your partner pay into a salary sacrifice scheme from your wages, or you get a bonus or commissionYour two latest payslips and written confirmation on what the scheme is for or how often you get the bonus or commission
You or your partner are self-employedComplete the self-employed income form or give us a copy of your latest accounts
You live in supported accommodationYour full tenancy agreement with information from your landlord about the support you get and who gives it to you
There are other adults living in your home (not your partner)Proof of their income, for example, payslips 
You pay for childcareDownload a childcare certificate form and ask your childcare provider to complete and return it
You are working age and have over £5,500 in savings, or you are pension age and have over £9,500 in savings and investments (including ISAs, stocks and shares, and so on)Latest statements for all accounts you and your partner have
You or your partner own another homeDownload and return an LA1 form
An adult living in your home is a studentDownload and return a student information form and give evidence of their student finance