Give us your views on the draft Local Plan

We have prepared a draft Local Plan for the district and want to know what you think - give us your views on the draft Local Plan and supporting strategies.

Help with the cost of living

Help with housing costs

If you're homeless or at risk of being homeless we can give you help or advice. You need to complete a quick online assessment first.

Get help if you're homeless or at risk of losing your home

Help paying your rent or mortgage

You should speak to your landlord or mortgage lender first if you can't pay your housing costs. If you're a council tenant you should contact our housing team.

GOV.UK have advice on help towards mortgage interest payments or you can speak to Canterbury Housing Advice Centre.

You might be able to get housing benefit if you're on a low income.

If you're claiming housing benefit or Universal Credit and need more help with housing costs, you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). This is a one-off payment for help with rent or a rent deposit. 

Government cost of living payments

If you're getting a means tested benefit - like Universal Credit for example - you'll get a cost of living payment of £650 this year. It's split into two instalments, one in summer and one in autumn. You don't need to apply for it, you'll be paid automatically.

If you get certain disability benefits - like disability living allowance or personal independence payment - you will get an extra £150 on top of the £650 payment.

Find out more about cost of living payments

Government winter fuel payments

This year anyone that normally gets the winter fuel payment for pensioners will get an extra one off-payment of £300. This will be paid automatically.

Find out more about winter fuel payments

General help for households

GOV.UK's Help for Households campaign has advice and support on lots of household costs, including bills, childcare, and benefits.