Council tax energy rebate

The government is giving out a £150 rebate to council tax payers in bands A-D (and E if you get disabled persons reduction) to help with energy costs. The payments are not a discount on your council tax and won't show on your bill.

If you get council tax support and don't pay council tax, you will still be eligible for the rebate as long as you meet the other conditions.

If your home is valued in council tax bands E-H you might be eligible for a discretionary payment to help with your energy bills. We'll update this page with information on this as soon as we have it.

Latest information about the rebate

Last updated: Friday 17 June at 08:30

This page has the latest information on the energy rebate payments. Please don't call us about your payment as we can't give you any further details.

If you don't pay your council tax by Direct Debit

If you're eligible for the rebate and don't pay by Direct Debit you should have had a letter asking you to give us your bank details using the form below. We can't pay your rebate any other way.

If you've contacted us recently and we haven't replied yet or we haven't made any changes to your account that were needed, you might get your letter later in June. 

You shouldn't complete the form until you have had your letter as it might not work for you.

Because of the number of people using the form, you might have trouble accessing it. If you do, please try again later.

Give us your bank details for your energy rebate payment

Bank details that weren't recognised on the energy rebate form

The bank doesn’t tell us why your details failed verification checks.

The main reasons that verification fails are:

  • The name on the bank account does not match the name on the council tax record or rebate request form.
  • All checks rely on banks signing up to a data-sharing agreement. Some banks have not signed up and accounts with those banks will fail the check.
  • Accounts that are less than three months old.
  • Accounts over 30 years old.

If your details failed, the £150 payment will be added to your council tax account and you'll get a new bill in July showing your new reduced instalments.

If you would like to get the £150 as a refund instead of it being taken off your council tax bill, you must apply for a council tax refund.

If you pay your council tax by Direct Debit

If you're eligible for the rebate and pay by Direct Debit you should have had the £150 paid into the account your Direct Debit is taken from. 

We might not have been able to do this if one of the following applies to you:

  • you have reported a change in circumstances that we haven’t yet processed
  • we haven’t yet received at least one council tax payment by Direct Debit from your bank account
  • the surname on your bank account doesn’t match the name on your council tax account - we are only allowed to pay your bank account if your name is an exact match to your council tax account. We identified several cases where there were small spelling differences and have updated these so that we can pay your rebate into your bank account after your next Direct Debit payment has been taken. If your name on your bank account is completely different to your council tax account, we'll write to you.
  • we are investigating if your property is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) for council tax purposes

We might need to contact you for more information if one of these applies, or we might pay your bank account directly at a later date.

Bank accounts that are overdrawn

We're making payments on a weekly basis directly into bank accounts and will pay your rebate into the account you tell us about.

If that account is overdrawn when we pay the £150 into it, your bank might take the money to pay for any overdraft charges.

You can use something called the ‘First right of appropriation’ to stop this happening. This is a temporary measure that allows you to put aside money in your account for specific bills, including energy bills.

If you want to do this you'll need to contact your bank to apply for it.

Properties that are not eligible for the rebate

  • Exempt properties – properties that are exempt from council tax (except student households, properties occupied only by people under the age of 18, properties occupied only by severely mentally impaired people, and annexes occupied by dependent relatives)
  • Empty properties – unoccupied properties that are unfurnished
  • Second homes – unoccupied properties that are furnished and used as a second home
  • Properties where the person responsible for paying the council tax (or would be were the property not exempt) is a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.

If a rebate has been awarded to a property but it has not been claimed by a householder by Thursday 30 June 2022, we might allocate the household payment against the council tax account.

Council tax energy rebate scam

We'll never ask for your bank account or personal details over the phone. If anyone calls you asking for them this is a scam and you should hang up straight away. You can call us on 01227 862 300 if you're not sure.

If you've been a victim of the scam you should contact us and the Police and report it to Action Fraud