Your council tax bill explained

The council tax you pay goes towards local services such as policing, fire services, education, parks and household rubbish collections.

The amount of council tax you have to pay depends on the area that you live in and which property band your home is given. Your bill will be adjusted if you qualify for any of the council tax discounts or exemptions, or if you qualify for help with your council tax because you have a low income. Your bill will also be adjusted if you are charged a premium.

Your new 2017/18 council tax bill 

During March we will send out new council tax bills showing how much your instalments will be from 1 April 2017.

These bills show information correct as of 23 February 2017. If you make any final payments or are awarded any discounts or exemptions after this date it will not show on your new bill. If any changes result in a difference to the amount you have to pay we will send you a new bill.

Your bill will be dated and posted on 6 March 2017. Please read your bill carefully to make sure you know what you need to pay and check whether the correct discounts, exemptions and council tax support have been given to you.

You can receive your future bills quicker by signing up to paperless billing.

Paying by direct debit

Please check the shaded box on your bill where it says how much each instalment is. It also tells you how you are due to pay. If it tells you that the instalments are collected by direct debit you don’t need to do anything as we will automatically change your payments to make sure the right amount is taken.

If you don’t currently pay by direct debit and you would like to, please fill in and return the direct debit form sent to you with your council tax bill. 

Council tax instalments 

You have the opportunity to make payment of your council tax over 12 instalments rather than 10. If you wish to make payment over 12 instalments you must contact us no later than 31 March 2017 and a revised bill will be sent to you. 

Allpay cards

If you still live at the same address you can continue to use your existing payment card, you don’t need a new one.

Council tax charges 2017/18


In this area, a 'precept' is a charge collected on behalf of Canterbury City Council, Kent County Council, The Police and Crime Commissioner for Kent, Kent and Medway Fire and Rescue Authority and our parish councils.

We collect the council tax on behalf of all these authorities. Find out more about where your council tax goes.

Information from other authorities who deliver services in your area:

The adult social care precept

The adult social care precept is an amount charged by Kent County Council to help fund adult social care. More about the adult social care precept.

If your bill shows arrears

Your bill shows information correct as of 23 February 2017. If you make any payments after this date they will not show on your new bill.

Your bill could show arrears if you pay in 12-monthly instalments and you haven’t have yet paid your February or March council tax instalments, or you have paid them after 23 February 2017.

Your bill could also show arrears if you haven’t paid your council tax. If you are having difficulty paying your council tax please contact us for advice as soon as possible.

If something has changed, for example you have recently moved home

Your council tax bill shows information correct as of 23 February 2017. If you tell us about any changes after this date they will not show on your new bill. If this applies to you we will send you a new bill shortly after you have told us about your change.

Premiums for empty properties

An additional amount of council tax (a ‘premium’) is charged when a property has been empty for two years or more. The premium is set at 50 per cent.

This means that if you own a property which has been empty and unfurnished for two years or more, you will be charged an extra 50 per cent council tax on top of the full council tax for the property. This means that you will have to pay a 150 per cent council tax charge. More about the long-term empty premium.

If you disagree with your council tax bill

Please see the appeals and disputes page for information about how to appeal and what you can appeal against.

If you appeal against your council tax, you must continue with your regular payments until your appeal has been dealt with.

If you don’t pay your council tax

The council tax is a priority bill that must be paid by everyone who is liable.

If council tax is not paid as and when it is due, we will take recovery action which could mean costs being added to your account.

Further information

Your council tax bill explained

Watch our video which explains some of the details of your council tax bill

A - Z of council services