Your council tax 2015-16

Canterbury City Council, Kent County Council, The Police and Crime Commissioner for Kent and The Kent and Medway Fire and Rescue Authority together deliver most of the local services in your area. If you live in an area with a parish or town council, it too provides some local services.

The council tax you pay is collected by Canterbury City Council on behalf of all the above authorities. The total amount is then divided between these authorities.

Council tax bands and parish council charges

Budget information

Does everyone pay the same amount of council tax?

How much you pay depends on:

  • the council tax ‘band’ your home is put in;
  • if your home is occupied by less than two adults;
  • if you are entitled to any reductions, exemptions, discounts or council tax support that can help reduce your council tax payments.

The band for your property is decided by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), not the council. If you don't agree with the band your property has been given you need to contact the VOA.

Information from the other authorities who deliver services in your area

What does 'precept' mean?

In this area, a 'precept' is a charge collected on behalf of Canterbury City Council, Kent County Council, The Police and Crime Commissioner for Kent, The Kent and Medway Fire and Rescue Authority and our parish councils.

We collect the council tax on behalf of all these authorities.

Only one adult lives in my property - what discounts apply to me?

The amount of council tax due, based on your band, is also based on at least two adults living in a property as their main home. When we say ‘adult’ we mean a person over the age of 18. People under 18 years old are not counted for council tax.

The most common discount is a single person discount. This is where only one adult lives in a property as their only or main home. This discount gives a 25% reduction on the full council tax. 

Council tax support

If you have a low income or have a benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions or the Pension Service, you may be able to apply for council tax support.

Council tax support is a scheme to help people pay their council tax, it is a discount based on your income, who lives with you and the amount of council tax you have to pay.

Other council tax discounts and exemptions

There are other discounts and exemptions that can apply to certain people or types of properties. Some people are not counted for council tax purposes, such as full-time students.

Council tax premium for long-term empty properties

From 1 April 2015, an additional amount of council tax (a ‘premium’) will be charged when a property has been empty for two years or more. The premium is set at 50%.

More about the long-term empty premium

Appeals about council tax

If you think that you shouldn't be billed for council tax, or the council has made a mistake in calculating your bill you can appeal.

How to appeal

A - Z of council services