Council offices opening times over Easter:
Canterbury, Herne Bay, Whitstable

Flooding and drainage

Flooding update - Thursday 10 April

If you've been affected by flooding and you need help or advice, please contact us during office hours on 01227 862000 or out of hours in an emergency on 01227 781879.

For latest flooding news, follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

Financial support for homeowners, businesses and farmers

The government has announced a number of schemes to provide financial support to people who have been flooded. Details of these are as follows:

  • Business rate relief
  • Business support scheme
  • Council tax discount
  • Flooding repair and renewal grant

Full guidance on these is available on the national government website. For more information or to apply for any of these schemes, call the council on 01227 862310.

There is also a farming flood recovery fund. To apply for support from this fund, go to the DEFRA website.

Recovery phase

The council is working with partner organisations to coordinate the recovery phase of this flooding incident.

Any resident whose property has been flooded is urged to contact their insurer to discuss their repair requirements if they haven’t already.

Kent County Council Trading Standards is also warning the public to beware of rogue traders offering to carry out repairs to property after the floods. Residents are advised to get a second or third opinion and some competitive quotes for any work that needs to be carried out.

For further advice go to the Trading Standards website or call 08454 040506. You can also see a list of trusted and approved businesses on our 'Buy With Confidence' scheme website.

Sandbag removal

The council has begun removing sandbags. Initially this is just for those delivered to individual properties and the 'walls' that were built that are away from the edge of the rivers. The 'walls' adjacent to the river and at locations such as fords will need to be kept in place for a little while longer as the river source is still only dropping by a few millimetres despite several weeks of better weather.

Important things to note:

  • Residents should retain their sandbags for future use if they want to and have space for storage. The sandbags should be covered and protected from rain and sunlight.
  • Residents may also use the sand (generally sharp sand) for their own purposes, for example garden building projects or soil improvement, but not for children’s play.
  • If these options are not possible, residents are asked to get together and try to place the sandbags in local piles rather than leave in front of their doors. This particularly applies to sandbags used at the rear of properties. The sandbags will then be collected by Serco.
  • Parishes should make arrangements to restock their sandbag stores from the sandbags that are out and they can have as many as they want.
  • The above applies to the vast majority of sandbags supplied but those that have been in direct contact with sewage will be collected by Serco for disposal at a licensed tip.
  • Should there be any residents who are disabled or unable to move their sandbags, we ask that the parish representatives give them a hand, but failing this, Serco will assist.

Sandbag advice

The very strong advice to residents living in areas where flooding is a possibility is that they should maintain their own supply of sandbags so they can protect their property. Sandbags can be sourced from builders’ merchants and DIY stores.

Hessian sandbags are also available to purchase from Serco Kingsmead Depot Kingsmead Road Canterbury, Kent, CT1 1SZ.

Item:    EMPTY Sandbags - to be sold in packs of 10 or multiples thereof
Price:    £10.50 inc. VAT per 10 pack
Notes:  Collection from Reception only during office hours.

Item:    FILLED Sandbags - to be sold in packs of 10 or multiples thereof
Price:    £38.70 inc. VAT per 10 pack
Notes:  Collection from Reception only during office hours.

Useful contact information

Residents concerned about incidents of flooding can call the city council during office hours on 01227 862000 or out of hours in an emergency on 01227 781879. The Environment Agency’s Floodline number, which provides the latest information about flood warnings, is 0345 988 1188.

Concerns about groundwater entering sewerage systems and causing wastewater to 'back up' into properties, which can prevent people using their toilet and bathroom facilities, should be reported to Southern Water on 0845 278 0845.

Public Health England has health and safety advice approaching/during/after flooding.

Environment Agency advice about flooding from groundwater.

A - Z of council services