Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. Find out more about service statuses and other information on COVID-19

Apply for a council tax discount for someone that is in prison or is detained

If someone living in your property goes into prison or is detained, and without them there is only one adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax.

If a property is left empty because the person who used to live there has gone into prison or is detained, you can apply for an exemption (which means you don't have to pay Council Tax for the property).

Find out more about this discount and exemption

This form will ask you to provide

  • The address for which you are applying.
  • The full name(s) of everyone aged 18 or over who live at the property.
  • The name of the person in prison or detained. 
  • The date they were taken into custody.
  • Their prison number (if applicable).
  • Their expected release date.
  • The address of the prison or where they are detained.

This form must be completed by the person responsible for paying Council Tax at the property.

Please have this information ready as pages time-out after 30 minutes.