Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See service statuses and other information on COVID-19

Apply for a council tax refund for someone who has died

Use this form to request a refund of overpaid Council Tax where the person who made the payments has died.

Completing this form does not guarantee that you will receive a refund. We will check your account to see if you are in credit and whether a refund can be issued. 

All refunds are sent by BACS into a bank account.

This form will ask you to provide

  • Your name, address and contact details.
  • The Council Tax account reference of the person who has died.
  • The address for which you are requesting a refund.
  • Sort code, account number and the name on the bank or building society account you would like us to send the refund to.

Please have this information ready as pages time-out after 30 minutes.