Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See service statuses and other information on COVID-19

Apply for a council tax student discount or exemption

Find out about Council Tax discounts and exemptions available for students

To complete this form you will need to provide

  • Council Tax account reference (if known).
  • The names of all adults living at the same address.
  • Student details for all students including their name, the name of their university or college, proof of their student status (see explanation below) and their tenancy start date (if applicable).
  • Owner's name and address (if you don't own the property).

If you don’t know the names of all the people living with you, you can leave them blank. However, until we have the names and student details of all the people living with you, your application will not be processed.

Proof of student status

If the student(s) studies at the University of Kent, Canterbury Christ Church University, University for Creative Arts or Canterbury College we can check their student status from their student ID number(s). Please provide their student ID number(s) when completing this form.

If they study anywhere else or you don't have their student ID number(s), we need a copy of the student certificate(s) issued by the college or university registry department.  You can upload a copy when completing this form or send copies to us by email or post afterwards but your application won't be processed until we have received them.

Please have this information ready as pages time-out after 30 minutes.