Tell us you're subletting your council leasehold property

Subletting is when you let out your property to someone else. This means that you become a landlord and are responsible for your tenants. 

If you have a mortgage you may need to get permission to sublet from your bank or building society. Lodgers and sub-tenants do not have the same rights as you. If your property is repossessed, they could be evicted.

You must make sure that your tenant does not breach the conditions of the lease. We will take legal action against you as the leaseholder if conditions are broken. If the issues are not resolved we may apply for forfeiture of your lease. This means we reclaim the lease and you lose your property.

What information we need when you sublet

You must give us copies of the following documents when you sublet your council leasehold property:

  • tenancy agreement
  • lease
  • gas and electric safety certificates

We may ask you to pay a reasonable fee for registering each sub-lease.

When you sublet your leasehold property you must also give us contact details for:

  • you
  • your tenant
  • the management company, if you are using one

This is so we can get in contact in an emergency, or if there are any problems with your property.

Tell us you are subletting your property

Paying the service charge

When you sublet your property it's still your responsibility to pay the service charges and ground rent.