Homeless or facing eviction?

Homeless or facing eviction from your home

If you think you are homeless or could be soon, then you can contact us for help. 

You should look for help as soon as possible. We provide our housing options service daily, from Monday to Friday between 9.30am and 4.30pm at our Military Road office.  

If you are actually homeless on the day you come to see us we will, in most cases, offer you an appointment with an experienced officer on that day.  If you are not homeless that day we may offer you an appointment on the day or in a few days' time.

For independent advice you can also contact:

Citizens Advice Bureau

3 Westgate Hall Road
Telephone number: 0844 499 4128


Telephone number: 0808 800 4444 

Calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks (Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile, EE, 3 and Virgin Mobile). 

Canterbury Housing Advice Centre (CHAC)

2nd Floor
24 Burgate

Telephone number: 01227 762605

CHAC have extended their free housing advice service to Whitstable and Herne Bay. 

Drop-in sessions are every Wednesday from 10am to 12 noon, at Herne Bay Citizens Advice Bureau, and every Wednesday from 1pm to 3pm, at Whitstable Umbrella Centre

Connect Well Kent


Offers information on support services and advice, local clubs and social groups and more.

What help will I get from the Council?

Where possible, we will do what we can to help you keep your current home, or help you to find another one so that you do not become homeless at all.  We will treat you as being threatened with homelessness if you are within 28 days of losing your home.

What we will do:

  • We will offer you an interview with an experienced officer who will record with you in writing why you have become homeless.
  • We will investigate your case and may ask you to provide evidence to back up what you say.
  • We may make further enquiries with other people and organisations.
  • We will aim to make a decision on your case within 33 days.  Sometimes this may take longer depending on how complex your case is. 
  • We will discuss all housing options that are available to you and help you to make an informed decision about what to do next.

Will I be provided with emergency accommodation?

We do not provide emergency accommodation for everyone who comes to the Council.  Emergency accommodation is not always available in the Canterbury area.  Sometimes we have to look in other areas but we will try to find somewhere locally for you first.  Your case officer will advise you if we are able to offer you emergency accommodation.

What information do I need to bring with me?

In order for us to assess your homeless application as quickly as possible you will be asked to provide as many of the following documents as possible.

You need to bring documents for all members of your household:

  • Proof of Identity such as driving licence, passport, birth certificate
  • 3 months bank statements for all bank and building society accounts and savings accounts
  • Wage slips, last 5 if paid weekly or 3 if paid monthly
  • Benefit award letters, like child benefit or tax credits
  • Proof of homelessness, like a notice to quit, letters, possession orders, bailiff's warrant
  • Any letters relating to medical conditions
  • Doctors, specialists or health visitor's details
  • Proof of rent or mortgage payments made to landlord or lender
  • Custody documents
  • Discharge papers
  • Details of anyone supporting you from other agencies

After you have applied for housing as a homeless person, we will make enquiries into your circumstances before making a decision as to what duty is owed to you under housing law. If you disagree with the decision, you have the right to request a review.

How to request a review

You should put your request in writing, within 21 days of receiving your decision. You should state why you think the decision is wrong and ask that your case be reviewed.

We would suggest that you seek legal advice from an independent source, such as Canterbury Housing Advice Centre, Shelter, Citizen’s Advice Bureau, or a solicitor before you submit your review request.

The council does not have a duty to provide accommodation pending a review. Each case will be considered on its merits.

A - Z of council services