Support for people who pay business rates (COVID-19)
Budget 2021 announcements
The Chancellor announced the following measures to support businesses in his Budget on Wednesday 3 March 2021:
- A new 'Restart grant' will be available from April to support businesses reopening in 2021
- non-essential retail will get grants of up to £6,000, and
- hospitality and leisure businesses (including personal care and gyms) will get grants of up to £18,000
- The business rates holiday (100% Expanded Retail discount) will be extended until the end of June 2021. From July 2021, the discount will be reduced to two thirds of the business rates bill. Closed businesses will have the amount of relief they can get capped at £2million, and there will be a lower cap for those businesses able to remain open.
- The business rates holiday (100% Nursery (childcare) discount) will be extended to the end of June 2021. From July 2021, the discount will be reduced to two thirds of the business rates bill. The amount of relief will be capped at £105,000 per business.
We don't have any more information on the Restart Grants, and we need to wait for further guidance to be given to us by the government before we can take any further action. We will update this page as soon as we can.
Other help for businesses
You can find more information about other help for businesses on the GOV.UK website.