Housing benefit and council tax support award notifications 2018/19

We'll be sending out letters in March showing how much housing benefit and council tax support you'll get from 1 April 2018. If you're signed up to paperless notifications you'll get an email with your letter attached on or shortly after 5 March.

The letter explains how we have worked out your awards and shows information correct as of 23 February 2018. If you've given us new information since this date, it may not show on your letter. If there are any changes to the amount of housing benefit or council tax support you get because of the new information, we'll send you a revised letter.

What you need to do

Check each page of your letter to make sure the information we used to work out your awards is correct. You may find it helpful to check our explanation of some terms in your award notification. If something is wrong, you must contact our benefits team straight away. If you don't and we pay you too much, we may ask you to pay it back.

If you pay council tax, the new council tax bill you get is based on this assessment of your circumstances, and any balance outstanding should be paid as stated on your bill. If you pay by direct debit, you don't need to do anything, the amounts will be collected automatically.

If you rent your home from us, your housing benefit will be credited to your rent account. If you don't rent from us, we'll pay your housing benefit as stated on your letter.

You must tell us about any changes to your circumstances (excluding changes to council tenant rent or your council tax bill) as soon as possible so that we can make sure you are getting the correct award. We'll also need to see proof of these changes.

Appeal a decision

If you disagree with the amount you have been awarded, or whether you're entitled to support at all, you may be able to appeal a housing benefit or council tax support decision.