Appeal a housing benefit or council tax support decision

Appeal a housing benefit decision

If you disagree with a decision on your housing benefit, you can use the form below to:

  • ask for a more detailed explanation 
  • ask us to look at your claim again, or
  • appeal against our decision

In most cases, you must be the person claiming housing benefit. Your landlord can only appeal if:

  • we decide not to pay your housing benefit directly to them or
  • we ask them to pay back any housing benefit we have overpaid you

Appeal a housing benefit decision

If after you appeal we decide your housing benefit should change then we'll send you a revised letter. If we decide our original decision is correct, we'll tell you if you can appeal to the Tribunal Service and how to do this.