Tributes paid following the death of the Duke of Edinburgh

Cllr Pat Todd, the Lord Mayor of Canterbury, has commented following the sad death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. See our full response

Benefit overpayments

Pay back an overpayment

You can pay your housing benefit overpayment online using our secure payment system.

In order to complete the payment, you will need your six digit invoice number and debit or credit card details. 

Make a payment

Other ways to pay


To make a credit or debit card payment, please call us on 01227 862 392. 

In order for us to take your payment, you will need your invoice number and your card details. 

Standing order 

Monthly instalments can be set up from your bank account to ours via standing order.

You will need the following details to complete the standing order form at your bank:

  • National Westminster Bank PLC
  • Bank sort code: 62-13-48 
  • Bank account number: 00000000
  • Reference number: please use 22 followed by your invoice number or 11 followed by your housing benefit reference number if you don't have an invoice 
  • Payee: Canterbury City Council head office collection account

Post Office and PayPoint 

If you have a housing benefit overpayment card you can pay at any participating Post Office or PayPoint outlet.

Direct Earnings Attachments 

If we've paid you too much housing benefit we may ask your employer to deduct the amount you owe us from your pay. Find out more about Direct Earnings Attachments.