Can't find what you're looking for?

This is a new version of the council website. If you can't find what you're looking for please view the old site

Extra help with your housing costs

Who can get extra help with housing costs

To get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) you must:

  • live in Canterbury, Herne Bay, Whitstable or the surrounding villages
  • be entitled to housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and
  • be able to prove financial need

In some circumstances, for example if you need to move home, we may be able to pay a DHP to cover a rent deposit or rent in advance.

We can't give payments for:

  • help with council tax
  • rent increases due to outstanding arrears
  • service charges not covered by housing benefit

There are restrictions on how much money you can get in a financial year and payments are a short term measure for people experiencing difficult circumstances.