Extra help with your housing costs

Who can get extra help with housing costs

To get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) you must:

  • live in Canterbury, Herne Bay, Whitstable or the surrounding villages
  • be entitled to housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and
  • be able to prove financial need

In some circumstances, for example if you need to move home, we may be able to pay a DHP to cover a rent deposit or rent in advance.

We can't give payments for:

  • help with council tax
  • rent increases due to outstanding arrears
  • service charges not covered by housing benefit

There are restrictions on how much money you can get in a financial year and payments are a short term measure for people experiencing difficult circumstances.