Extra help with your housing costs
Who can get extra help with housing costs
To get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) you must:
- live in Canterbury, Herne Bay, Whitstable or the surrounding villages
- be entitled to housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and
- be able to prove financial need
In some circumstances, for example if you need to move home, we may be able to pay a DHP to cover a rent deposit or rent in advance.
If you are receiving, or are eligible to receive Universal Credit but don’t get the housing costs element, you won’t be able to get a DHP to help with rent in advance or deposit.
We can't give payments for:
- help with council tax
- rent increases due to outstanding arrears
- service charges not covered by housing benefit
There are restrictions on how much money you can get in a financial year and payments are a short term measure for people experiencing difficult circumstances.