Universal Credit is a monthly payment that will gradually replace the following benefits:
- Child tax credit
- Housing benefit
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Income support
- Income-based jobseekers allowance
- Working tax credit
It has now been rolled out to all new claimants in the Canterbury district, and you will need to apply for your housing costs through Universal Credit unless:
- you've reached state pension age
- you're in certain types of exempt or specified accommodation
- you've been placed in temporary accommodation by our Housing Options team or
- you're currently getting the severe disability premium or have done in the last month.
If any of the above apply to you, you must make a claim for housing benefit. Otherwise, use GOV.UK's online service to apply for Universal Credit:
If you don't have access to the internet to apply online, you can make an appointment with our Customer Services team who will be able to help. Free access is also available at your local library.