Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See service statuses and other information on COVID-19

Freedom of Information

Appeals and complaints

If you are unhappy with the information provided or our refusal to provide information you'll be able to request that we conduct an internal review.

Requests for an internal review should be sent within two months of receipt of our response.

If you are dissatisfied after that review, you can apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the Information Commissioner cannot make a decision unless the internal review procedure has been exhausted.

Appeals to the Information Commissioner should be addressed to:

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

You can view more information on the Information Commissioner's website.