Business rates relief
What is business rates relief?
Some business properties are eligible for discounts (known as rates relief) on business rates.
In some cases, for example if your business rates bill changes because of a revaluation of your property, you do not need to apply for the discount.
You need to apply for some discounts yourself. These include if:
- you are a registered charity or amateur sports club (charitable rate relief)
- your business has severe financial difficulties (hardship relief)
- your office space is occupied by a local newspaper (newspaper relief)
- your business only uses part of a property (partly occupied relief)
- your business is in a rural area with a population of less than 3,000 (rural rate relief)
- your business has a rateable value of less than £15,000 and only uses one property (small business rate relief)
- your business rates bill has increased as a result of the 2017 revaluation (local discretionary discount)