Arrears and debt recovery
A liability order is a demand for you to pay the full amount you owe us, plus any costs.
If the magistrates issue a liability order, we are allowed to:
- ask your employer to regularly take money from your salary
- take money from your Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
- ask enforcement officers to collect the debt
- put a charging order on your home
- apply to make you bankrupt
- apply to the court to send you to prison
Before we consider taking any of these options we will ask you about your personal and financial situation.