Can't find what you're looking for?

This is a new version of the council website. If you can't find what you're looking for please view the old site

Council tax bands and charges

How we work out your council tax

To work out the amount you pay in each band we look at the money we need to run the services we provide. The total amount we collect is the difference between how much budget we need and how much we have to spend.

We divide the amount we need between each property. We then add on the the amount you have to pay to Kent County Council, the police and fire services and award any discounts or exemptions you're entitled to. If you live in an area with a parish or town council there is an extra charge for services they provide.

If you own a property that has been empty for two years or more you'll be charged an extra 50% on that property.

View council tax charges

Adult social care precept

The adult social care precept is an amount charged by Kent County Council to help fund adult social care.