Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See service statuses and other information on COVID-19

Carers and people being cared for council tax exemption

If you are a care worker or home carer, you or the person you're caring for may be able to pay less council tax, as long as:

  • you leave your property unoccupied when you move to look after someone or receive care and
  • you're permanently living at the new address.

You can leave furniture in the unoccupied property.

If you've moved to a hospital, care home or nursing home, apply for a care home or hospital discount.

For all other properties, apply for a care provider discount.