Tributes paid following the death of the Duke of Edinburgh

Cllr Pat Todd, the Lord Mayor of Canterbury, has commented following the sad death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. See our full response

Student council tax discounts

Student council tax discount

If you are a full-time student you are exempt from council tax.

You are considered a full-time student if:

  • you are aged 18 or over and are at college, university or similar (including student nurses and foreign language assistants)
  • your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year and it involves at least 21 hours of study a week

When you apply you will need to prove your student status with either:

  • a student ID from the University of Kent, Canterbury Christ Church University, University for Creative Arts or Canterbury College;
  • a copy of the student certificate provided by the college or university.

If there is one household member (aged over 18) who isn't a student they are still counted for council tax but they get a 25% discount on their bill.

Apply for a student discount or exemption