Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See service statuses and other information on COVID-19

Prisoner council tax exemption

If someone living in your property goes into prison or is detained, and without them you are the only adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25% discount on your council tax. 

If a property is left empty because the person who used to live there has gone into prison or is detained under the Immigration or Mental Health Acts you can apply for an exemption.

Apply for a prison discount or exemption

Please note you won't be able to get the discount or exemption if the person is in prison for not paying their council tax.