Welcome to our new website

We think you'll find it easy to use, but if you can't find what you're looking for you can check the old website.

Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

See if you need an HMO licence

You will need a licence if you're renting out a large HMO. It is a large HMO if all of the following apply:

  • it's rented to five or more people
  • it is at least three storeys high
  • tenants live in two or more households
  • tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities

If you're in a HMO Article 4 direction area, you will also need planning permission to change the use of the property.

Check if you are in a HMO Article 4 direction area