Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)
Apply for a HMO licence
You can apply for a HMO licence online. You can find out if you need a license using our guide. There is a fee to pay based on the number of occupants. Each HMO must have a separate licence.
As part of your application you will need to provide:
- a floor plan (a line drawing including dimensions)
- a PAT certificate
- an energy performance certificate
- a gas safe certificate (if applicable)
- a fire risk assessment
- a copy of the tenancy agreement
- an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)
- an alarm maintenance certificate (if applicable)
A licence is valid for five years.
|Type of HMO||Fee to pay|
|Up to five occupants||£1,156.40|
|Each additional occupant||£66.85|
We will typically carry out a property inspection within six months from the date we issue your licence.