COVID-19 advice and support

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See more information including service statuses

Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

HMO standards

Landlords must meet minimum standards to keep your home safe and free from health hazards. This includes acceptable space for the size of the property and number of tenants. 

Our standards are based on national guidance from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.

Room standards

These standards are for a maximum of five people sharing a typical house. For six or more people sharing, extra facilities will be required.

Bedrooms occupied by one person Minimum size
With separate living space 6.5 sqm (70 sq ft)
Without separate living space 9 sqm (100 sq ft)
Bedrooms occupied by two people Minimum size
With separate living space 10 sqm (110 sq ft)
Without separate living space 14 sqm (150 sq ft)

Bedrooms must have at least four double power outlets, or three where they have USB ports. Living rooms must have at least three double power outlets.

Kitchens Minimum size
Cooker Hob with four hot plates plus oven and grill
Kitchen sink Sink with drainer and hot and cold water
Work surface area 2000 mm x 500mm
Fridge freezer

One fridge freezer at least 550 mm wide x 1500 mm tall

or one undercounter fridge and one undercounter freezer

Food storage  500 mm width base cupboard or equivalent size wall cupboard per person
Bathrooms Minimum size
Bath or shower One standard size bath or a shower
Toilet One toilet
Hand basin Hand basin with hot and cold water

Bins and waste

Landlords must supply appropriate bins and sacks at the start of the tenancy (and replace them where needed). This includes:

  • a blue lidded bin (240L)
  • a red lidded bin (180L)
  • a black lidded bin (180L)
  • two silver caddies for food waste (23L and 5L)
  • full details of bin collections and recycling information

Where there is nowhere to store bins, or for properties that already have a purple sack collection, we will provide a roll of purple sacks per quarter. In addition, landlords must provide:

  •  a red lidded box (55L) for paper and cardboard
  • a blue lidded box (55L) for cans, plastic and glass
  • an extra three rolls of purple sacks per quarter if there are six or more tenants