Pay your rent
How your rent is worked out
The government sets overall rent bands using something called 'rent restructuring'. This means that homes of a similar age, value and type, and in the same area will have similar rent.
We then decide the rent each year for our properties, and send you a statement showing the amount you need to pay.
How much you pay is based on:
- the number of bedrooms in your home
- the average wage in the area compared to the UK as a whole
- how much your home was worth in January 1999
- the national average rent
- the national average property value
Check how much rent you need to pay
If you want to check how much you rent you need to pay, you can contact the rent team and ask for your balance or a full statement, which shows all your rent payments and if you're in credit.