Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See service statuses and other information on COVID-19

Apply for a mutual exchange

You can swap homes with any council tenant or Housing Association tenant in the UK (known as a mutual exchange). They must have the right to mutual exchange and want to swap with you.

You will need to register your property details on the national home exchange website. If you are approved, you will be given a unique reference number to start searching for a property.

Once you've found someone to swap homes with, you need to apply for a mutual exchange. It's important you view the new property before you do this, as you must accept it in the state offered.

Apply for a mutual exchange

When we get your application form, we'll check you haven't breached your tenancy. We'll then arrange an inspection of your property, and once we've given written permission for you to swap homes, you'll need to arrange a moving date.