Apply for an animal licence
Selling animals as pets
If you run a business that sells animals as pets, you must have a licence. This includes selling animals from your home or on the internet.
You'll need to pay a non-refundable fee of £160 to apply and a further £165 if the licence is granted. You'll also be responsible for paying any vets fees.
As part of your application you'll need to submit copies of the following:
- plan of the premises
- operating procedures
- insurance policy
- risk assessments (including fire)
- qualification and training records
- infection control procedure
You'll need to return your form and supporting documents to [email protected]. You can also email the team if you have any questions before applying.
To pay the application fee you can:
- call 01227 862 427 to make a phone payment or
- send a cheque made payable to Canterbury City Council.
Apply for a licence to sell animals
Licences are valid for one to three years, based on a risk rating we award each licence holder.