Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See service statuses and other information on COVID-19

Apply for an animal licence


If you want to display wild animals to the public for at least 7 days a year, anywhere that’s not a circus or pet shop, you need a zoo licence.

You'll need to pay a non-refundable fee of £1,280 to apply.

You must tell us:

  • where the zoo will be
  • what kind of animals you’re going to keep and how many
  • how you’ll house and care for the animals
  • staff numbers and what they’ll be doing
  • expected visitor and vehicle numbers
  • zoo entrance and exit points and
  • how you’ll meet the conservation conditions.

You'll need to return your form and supporting documents to [email protected]. You can also email the team if you have any questions before applying.

To pay the application fee you can:

  • call 01227 862 427 to make a phone payment or 
  • send a cheque made payable to Canterbury City Council. 

Download an application for a zoo licence

Licences are valid for a year.