Can't find what you're looking for?

This is a new version of the council website. If you can't find what you're looking for please view the old site

Building regulations approval

Apply to carry out minor building work

To carry out minor building work you will need to apply for approval (known as a building notice) at least two working days before you start.

Minor building work includes:

  • simple structural alterations
  • drainage alterations
  • underpinning work
  • installing a bathroom
  • re-roofing work
  • detached garages or outbuildings
  • small simple extensions

You don't need to submit plans with your application but there is a fee to pay based on the work you want to do. Contact our Building Control team to find out how much this will be.

A building notice is valid for three years from the date you apply.

Apply to carry out minor building work