COVID-19 advice and support

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See more information including service statuses

Building control

Make a building control application

Our building control services are now managed by STG, in partnership with Gravesham, Medway and Swale councils.

If you want to build something new or make changes to an existing building, you'll usually need to apply through STG for approval. This is different from planning permission, and you might need both for your project.

There are three types of building control approval:

  • a building notice for smaller alterations and extensions on domestic property, such as installing a new bathroom
  • a full plans application for bigger alterations and extensions to domestic, commercial and educational property
  • a retrospective application for works carried out with consent, started on or after 11 November 1985

Once you've registered for an account with STG you'll be able to submit and pay for applications online.

Make a building control application