Can't find what you're looking for?

This is a new version of the council website. If you can't find what you're looking for please view the old site

Building regulations approval

What are building regulations?

If you want to build something new or make changes to an existing building, you will usually need building regulations approval.

There are two types of application:

  • minor building work such as installing a new bathroom or kitchen or simple structural changes (known as a building notice)
  • large scale building work or commercial and residential developments (known as a full plans application)


Some buildings and extensions are exempt from regulations:

  • buildings controlled under other regulations, such as Ancient Monuments
  • buildings not frequently used by people
  • greenhouses and agricultural buildings
  • temporary buildings, such as exhibition marquees
  • single storey detached buildings not used for sleeping, with a floor area of less than 30 metres squared
  • certain extensions, such as conservatories, porches, covered yards or carports