COVID-19 advice and support

Some of our services have temporarily stopped or changed. See more information including service statuses

Planning permission for HMOs

If you want to change the use of a property to a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) then you should start by checking to see if the property is an HMO Article 4 direction area using our interactive map:

Check if your property is in a HMO Article 4 direction area

If you are, then planning permission is required to change the use of a house from a C3 dwelling house to a C4 HMO where between three and six unrelated people share a kitchen and or bathroom.

Applying for planning permission

We strongly recommend that you hire a planning consultant to create and submit a planning application on your behalf. Planning applications that are submitted with the help of a professional have a higher success rate.

Or, you can make your application online using the Planning Portal website:

Apply for planning permission

Once you have planning permission you'll also need to check if you need an HMO licence.