Civic history and traditions
The Lord Mayor’s Chain of Office
The chain has been a symbol of office since 1616.
The current chain was donated by George Collard in the early 19th century, and is now worn by the Lord Mayor on all official engagements.
The badge of office on the chain shows the armorial bearings of the city and district of Canterbury and marks the link between the Church and the Crown. It depicts the Royal Lion, the three black choughs, and is topped by a crown. The inscription reads “Ave Mater Angliae” (Hail Mother of England).