Emergency planning

Flooding advice

Prepare for a flood

If your home or business is at risk of flooding, GOV.UK have lots of helpful advice on how to prepare for a flood. You can also sign up to the Environment Agency's flood warning service, which will let you know if a flood could affect your area.


You can buy sandbags and sand at most local builders merchants and larger DIY stores. They're also available from Serco - please call 0800 0319 091 to buy them.

If your home or business is threatened by flooding, we'll supply sandbags where we can to those most in need. We can't accept any liability for failure to supply them or a late delivery, and we won't pick them after the flooding has passed - they will be yours to keep.

What to do if there is a flood

If your home or business is flooded, and it's safe to do so, you should:

  • switch off your electricity supply at the fuse box and
  • turn off your water and gas supply at the mains.

If you're a council tenant and there is water inside your home or your electrics have been affected, please call Serco on 0800 834 959. 

For other types of flooding - for example, water mains or rivers - you can use Kent County Council's guidance on who to report flooding to.

Useful contacts

  • Police - if there is a threat to life call 999, in a non-emergency call 101
  • NHS - use their online service to find medical help near you or call 111
  • Environment Agency - visit the Environment Agency website or call 03708 506 506
  • Floodline - call 0800 80 70 60