What is the Local Plan?
We adopted a new Local Plan in July 2017, allowing us to manage development in the district between 2011 and 2031.
We will use this document to make decisions on major planning applications and to prioritise the development work that we think is most suitable for each part of the district.
The Local Plan aims to:
- create well-designed new communities, with good access to jobs and services
- make sure there is enough housing, and different types of housing, to meet the needs of local people and support new job creation
- protect sensitive landscape and wildlife areas, and other key environmental assets such as the World Heritage Site, the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Conservation Areas
- make certain that new infrastructure, such as transport, schools and health facilities, are provided in parallel with development
- protect and strengthen town and village centres
- support the growth of the Universities and Colleges
- support development of new and improved cultural and leisure facilities
You can also read the inspector's report, which made some amendments to the Local Plan before formally approving it