Planning permission in an Article 4 area

Use the planning map to check if you are in an Article 4 Direction area.

In Canterbury, the direction covers the whole house, both front and back.

In other parts of the district, directions usually cover the front of the property and areas facing a highway or open space.

Work which may need planning permission in these areas includes:

  • Replacing windows (unless an exact replica)
  • Extending or enlarging the house
  • Adding garden buildings, including a greenhouse or shed
  • Changing the roof material or shape
  • Installing a roof light
  • Installing a satellite dish or TV aerial
  • Add a vehicle hardstanding
  • Building or altering a gate, fence or wall

More detail and legal documents on the Article 4 planning restrictions for your area

Apply for planning permission

A - Z of council services