Local Plan latest news
Last updated 17 July 2017
Canterbury District Local Plan adopted
At a Full Council meeting held on Thursday 13 July 2017, councillors agreed to adopt the Local Plan.
5 July 2017
Canterbury District Local Plan to be considered for adoption
The Local Plan is due to be considered for adoption on Thursday 13 July. See the documents below:
- Report to council (including equalities impact assessment)
- Inspector's report
- Schedule of recommended Main Modifications
- Additional modifications
- Local Plan 2017 incorporating all modifications
- Proposals map
- Adoption statement
- Sustainability appraisal of the Local Plan adoption statement
- Habitats regulation assessment of the Main Modifications
21 June 2017
Canterbury District Local Plan Inspector's report published
Following the Independent examination of the Canterbury district Local Plan, the appointed Planning Inspector Mr Mike Moore BA (Hons), MRTPI, CMILT, MCIHT has completed his report. The report was received by us on 15 June 2017.
The report concludes that the Local Plan is 'sound' and legally compliant, subject to a number of Main Modifications which have been recommended by the Inspector. We will take the Inspector's report to Full Council on 13 July 2017.
5 April 2017
Consultation on Main Modifications to the Canterbury District Local Plan
All duly made representations have been sent to the Planning Inspector for his consideration. The Inspector will now prepare his report.
Please find pdf versions of all duly made representations for your information here. A hard copy of these is also available to view at Council Reception, Military Road, Canterbury.
15 December 2016
For information, the following two documents were also submitted by us to the Inspector:
Addendum: Note also that the overtopping zone at Whitstable is also to be removed.
11 November 2016
Inspector's to do list from September 2016 hearings
To do list (as of Tuesday 4 October)
Monday 19 September 2016
Hearing sessions - Tuesday 13 September to Thursday 22 September 2016
- Agenda M13 20 September 16
- Agenda M12 20 September 16
- Agenda M10 21 September 16
- Agenda M16 21 September 16
- Agenda M15 22 September 16
- Agenda MB 13 September 16
- Agenda M9 14 September 16
- Agenda MA 15 Sept 16
- Agenda M11 15 Sept 16
- Agenda M14 15 Sept 16
- Agenda MC 16 September 16
Inspector's to do list from July 2016 hearings
To do list (as of Tuesday 13 September)
Wednesday 7 September 2016
The latest version of the Proposed Main Modifications can be viewed here
Thursday 1 September 2016
Friday 19 August 2016
Extra hearing session
The Inspector has considered the comments received so far on any implications for the Local Plan arising from the Department for Communities and Local Government’s 2014-based sub national household projections. Based on what he has seen so far he has decided to hold a further hearing session on this matter which will take place on Friday 16 September 2016. Further details will be provided nearer the time.
Wednesday 10 August 2016
CDLP 19.4 Consultation evidence for Shalloak Road, Broad Oak, Canterbury has been added to the list of documents submitted during stage 2 of the examination.
Thursday 21 July 2016
For documents submitted at Stage 2 of the Examination please see the Examination documents page from CDLP 19.0 onwards.
Wednesday 13 July 2016
Monday 11 July 2016
Hearing sessions - Tuesday 19 July to Thursday 21 July
Final programme for hearings in July 2016 - please note this supersedes the replaced version issued on Wednesday 6 July
Wednesday 6 July 2016
Final programme for hearings in July 2016 - replaced by version issued on Friday 8 July.
Monday 27 June 2016
The Inspector has advised that September hearings will start on Tuesday 13 September and run for two weeks. The final programme will be published shortly.
Thursday 23 May 2016
Reminder: The deadline for further statements is midday on Friday 1 July 2016.
Thursday 19 May 2016
The hearing sessions for the Canterbury district Local Plan will recommence on Tuesday 19 July 2016. Please see documents below for full details.
Please note latest programme for July hearings is located at 6 July 2016 above.
Please contact Angela Furlong, the Programme Officer on 01227 862 388 or via the email link below for further details. She is managing the administration of the examination on behalf of the Inspector. Any correspondence regarding the examination should be sent to email@example.com
Alternatively, please write to:
Local Plan Programme Officer,
Canterbury City Council
Tuesday 17 May 2016
Tuesday 10 May 2016
We provided information to the Inspector on 28 April 2016, as requested and is listed below:
- CDLP 16.29.23 Information for Inspector - Letter of 28.04.16
- CDLP 16.29.24 Potential Main Modifications
- CDLP 16.29.25 Strategic Site Allocations 28 April 2016
- CDLP 16.29.26 Statement of Apportionment
- CDLP 16.29.27 5 Year Housing Land Supply Calculation Update
- CDLP 16.29.28 Correspondence with Dover District Council about Wincheap
- CDLP 16.29.29 Record of Consultation and engagement with Key Stakeholders and Public Bodies - Nov 14 to Apr 16
The Inspector will set the dates for stage two of the Examination, and will provide details of the issues he wishes to discuss at the hearings. These will be posted here when we receive them.
After the hearings have concluded, the Inspector will decide on the main modifications that he considers necessary for the plan to be sound or legally compliant. This may involve some further modifications to those in this schedule or changes to the wording of those proposed by the Council. The final schedule of main modifications will be subject to public consultation and the comments received taken into account by the Inspector in his final report on the Local Plan.
Wednesday 20 April 2016
- Letter to the Inspector relating to Point 4 of the Inspector's letter dated 17/03/16
- Letter from Inspector to Canterbury City Council 24 March 2016
- Canterbury City Council's response to Inspector's letter 22 March 2016
- Inspector's letter to Canterbury City Council 17 March 2016
- Canterbury Visum Model Update Run March 2016
Tuesday 1 March 2016
We have now checked and collated all responses to the consultation on the:
- Canterbury District Local Plan Publication Draft Proposed Amendments (November 2015)
- Addendum to the Sustainability Appraisal Report of the Canterbury District Local Plan Publication Draft: Appraisal of Proposed Amendments (November 2015).
A total of 379 individuals or organisations responded to the Proposed Amendments, and 60 responded to the Addendum to the Sustainability Appraisal consultation.
These have now been sent to the Planning Inspector. We have also sent those responses we consider to be unduly made, should he wish to review these.
We have also provided the Inspector with a brief summary of issues raised for the Proposed Amendments, which he has requested for his use and a summary of responses to the Addendum to the Sustainability Appraisal.
If you wish to view a hard copy of all documents, these can be viewed at Canterbury City Council, Military Road, Canterbury, CT1 1YW during normal office hours.
Documents published since end of first hearing sessions
You can view a list of documents that have been published since the end of the first hearing sessions held on 26 July 2015.
Correspondence between the inspector and council since the end of stage one of the examination
- The council's response to the Inspector's letter (14/09/2015) and information relating to preferred option draft 2013
- View the inspector's response the council (7 September 2015)
View the council's response (7 September 2015) to the Inspector's correspondence set out below.
The inspector has written to the council with his conclusions following stage one of the Local Plan Examination.
- Inspector’s letter (10 August 2015)
- Inspector’s additional note (7 August 2015)
- Council’s press release in response (12 August 2015)
Following the Local Plan hearing on Tuesday 14 July dealing with Duty to Cooperate, we have provided further information to the inspector (17/7/2015)on this issue.
The hearing sessions started Tuesday 14 July at 10am, at The Franciscan International Study Centre, Giles Lane, Canterbury CT2 7NA.
Hearing programmes (as of 17 June 2015)
Where parties have a right to be heard the Inspector has allocated them to those sessions that reflect the representations that they made on the submitted plan. This means that they may not be included in some sessions that they had asked for. The hearings are not the opportunity to make new representations on matters not included in those made earlier.
- Session programme stage 1 - July 2015
- Session programme stage 2 - September 2015 (Postponed until further notice)
- Matters, issues and questions - 9 July 2015
- Canterbury City Council opening statement at examination - 14 July 2014
Submission of the draft Local Plan
We have submitted our draft Local Plan 2014 to the Planning Inspectorate to be examined by independent Inspector Mr Mike Moore BA (Hons) MRTPI CMILT MCIHT. Copies of the documents submitted to the Inspectorate are available on our examination documents page along with the Inspector's correspondence.
The examination programme and hearings are determined by the Inspector.
Please contact Angela Furlong, the Programme Officer on 01227 862 388 or via the email link below for further details. She is managing the administration of the examination on behalf of the Inspector. Any correspondence regarding the examination should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, please write to:
Local Plan Programme Officer,
Canterbury City Council
Tel: 01227 862 388