If you are a student in the Canterbury district, here is a collection of useful links with information you may need. Canterbury is a great place to live and study and we hope you enjoy your time here.

  • Council tax
    If you live in university halls, or in a house where everyone is classed as a full-time student for council tax purposes, you may be exempt from paying council tax. If you live with someone who’s not a full-time student you could still get a discount.

  • Waste and recycling
    We collect landfill waste on a fortnightly basis with recycling and garden waste collected on the alternate weeks. Please make sure your rubbish is out for collection by 7am.

  • Housing benefit
    Part-time students on a low income may be eligible for housing benefit. Full-time students may be eligible if you receive Income Support, are a lone-parent or are under 19 years old and not in higher education.

  • Parking and getting around the district
    For students living in Canterbury, Herne Bay or Whitstable, residents and visitor parking permits may be available. You can also apply for a Park and Ride season card giving you 20% discount off the standard £2 per day charge.

  • Student housing accreditation scheme
    The council and the universities have jointly developed an accreditation scheme for landlords of student properties. It is a voluntary scheme, but many landlords have already signed up. Universities only advertise accredited properties.

  • Voting
    If you live on campus, your university will submit your name to the electoral register. If you live off campus you should make sure that you register to vote. Registration is also important for credit reference purposes.

  • Enjoying the district
    Essential information for students including sport, leisure and entertainment.

  • Tourism site
    Events going on, places to stay and where to eat. 
A - Z of council services