Apply for a student council tax exemption or discount

Student council tax exemption or discount

If you are a full-time student you are exempt from council tax.

You are considered a full-time student if:

  • you are aged 18 or over and are at college, university or similar (including student nurses and foreign language assistants)
  • your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year and it involves at least 21 hours of study a week

When you apply you will need to prove your student status with either:

  • a student ID from the University of Kent, Canterbury Christ Church University, University for Creative Arts or Canterbury College;
  • a copy of the student certificate provided by the college or university.

If there is one household member (aged over 18) who isn't a student they are still counted for council tax but they get a 25% discount on their bill.

Apply for a student discount or exemption