Council tax exceptional hardship award

You can apply for an exceptional hardship award if you get council tax support but still need help.

If you need help paying your bill, you may be able to get a council tax support exceptional hardship award.

You must:

  • be getting, or have applied for, council tax support
  • be experiencing severe and intolerable financial hardship
  • prove that you have tried all other reasonable ways to pay your council tax
  • have contacted our council tax team to talk through your options

Apply for an exceptional hardship award

There are restrictions on how much you can get and payments are a short term measure.

You might want to see the exceptional hardship support scheme document: