Apply for a Household Support Fund payment

The Household Support Fund is a scheme funded by the government to help low income households.

The money we're given is for help with costs like food, bills and other essentials such as clothing.

There will be three rounds of funding between now and 15 March 2024.

This first round will close in September 2023, or when all the money has been given out.

Who can apply

To apply for a payment, you must:

  • live in the Canterbury district and be 16 or over (including university students)
  • get a means-tested benefit or be on a low income of £30,000 or less
  • not have access to any money to support your situation

You can only apply for one type of help per household - so for example, you and your partner cannot submit two applications.

You can only be given a payment once between now and March 2024, so you can't apply during a later round if you've already had money from us.

How much money you can apply for

Type of application Amount
Help with food costs £50
Help with energy and water costs £100
Other essentials like period products, clothes and broadband £50
Repairing or replacing a boiler or white goods up to £2,500
Rent arrears up to £300
Council tax arrears up to £300

We can’t make payments for mortgage costs.

What you need to submit with your application

You’ll need to give us:

  • your bank statements for the last three months
  • proof of your address
  • proof of any benefits you get
  • if you're applying for council tax arrears - your latest council tax statement or arrears letter
  • if you're applying for rent arrears - your latest rent statement or arrears letter
  • if you're applying for boiler or white goods repairs - two quotes for the work
  • if you're applying for a replacement boiler or white goods - a receipt showing proof of purchase

Apply for a Household Support Fund Payment

What happens after we get your application

We’ll look at all applications based on individual needs, the information and supporting evidence you give us, and the money available.

We'll give priority to people in urgent need, and any applications for council tax or rent arrears might be looked at separately.

We'll let you know the outcome of your application within 28 working days. If you’re not successful we’ll explain the reasons why.

If there is high demand for payments, you might not be given any money this time. You can apply again when the next round opens.

You can see our privacy notice for how we'll use your personal data.