Contact us

Did you know...

You can apply or pay for services and find information on this website quickly and easily. You'll get a faster response as it'll go to the right team and a copy of your request will be sent to your email.

Use the search bar at the top of the site or the menu to find what you need.

How can I pay back an overpayment?

If we’ve paid you too much, the quickest way to pay back the full amount is online. All you need is your payment invoice number and your debit or credit card.

Pay a benefits overpayment

Can I pay an overpayment in instalments?

You can ask to pay in instalments using our quick online form. You just need your National Insurance number and the payment invoice number.

Make an arrangement to pay back your overpayment

Can I appeal an overpayment?

If you think we’ve got an overpayment decision wrong, you can easily appeal it using our simple online form. You’ll need to do it within one calendar month of the date on our letter.

Appeal a benefits overpayment

Can't find what you want online?

Send us a message

If you can' t find what you need you can contact us online and we'll respond within 14 days.

Give us a call

Call the benefits team on 01227 862 300 . Our phone lines are open between 8.45am to 5pm, during the week (excluding public holidays), and closed at weekends.

Visit the council

The council offices are open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 2pm. You'll need to call 01227 862 000 to book to see someone during these times.

Canterbury City Council
Military Road

Get directions

Make a complaint to the council

If you've not had good service from us you can make a complaint online so that we can put it right and stop it from happening again.

Find out more about our complaints procedure.