Contact us

Did you know...

You can apply or pay for services and find information on this website quickly and easily. You'll get a faster response as it'll go to the right team and a copy of your request will be sent to your email.

Use the search bar at the top of the site or the menu to find what you need.

Got a question?

What do I need to do about my council tax account?

Just let us know online if you’re moving and we’ll do the rest.

Tell us you're moving within or out of the area

Can I take my bins with me to my new property?

No, you need to leave the bins at your old address. If you’re moving somewhere in the area there should be bins at your new address. You can buy new bins online if they’re missing.

Buy a new bin or box

When are my bins collected?

It’s really easy to see your bin dates online - just put in your postcode and we’ll do the rest.

Check your bin collection dates

How do I change my address on the electoral register?

You can use GOV.UK’s simple online service to update your address.

Register to vote

How do I change my address on my car parking account?

It’s easy to change your address online. Just log in to your parking account - it takes five minutes.

Change your car parking account details

I get benefits - how do I tell you I'm moving?

Use our five minute online form to tell us your new address and we’ll do the rest.

Tell us about a change of address for your benefit claim

Can't find what you want online?

Send us a message

If you can' t find what you need you can contact us online and we'll respond within 14 days.

Give us a call

Call the customer services team on 01227 862 000 . Our phone lines are open between 8.45am to 5pm, during the week (excluding public holidays), and closed at weekends.

Visit the council

The council offices are open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 2pm. You'll need to call 01227 862 000 to book to see someone during these times.

Canterbury City Council
Military Road

Get directions

Make a complaint to the council

If you've not had good service from us you can make a complaint online so that we can put it right and stop it from happening again.

Find out more about our complaints procedure.