Pay a fixed penalty notice

Find out how to pay a fixed penalty notice and the type of offences they are issued for.

A fixed penalty notice (FPN) is a fine for offences like:

  • anti-social behaviour
  • littering
  • abandoning a vehicle
  • nuisance parking

You must pay your fine within 14 days of receiving it. There is no option to pay by instalments.

If you do not pay your fine we may take you to court where you might be ordered to pay a further fine and could get a criminal record.

How to pay

The way you pay your fine depends on what it was given for and who issued it.

NES fines

If your fine reference starts with a number (0-9) you must pay your NES fine online.

Canterbury City Council fines

If your fine reference starts with two letters and was issued for any of the following:

  • littering
  • flytipping or posting
  • graffiti
  • not having a waste carrier licence or waste transfer documents
  • failing a duty of care in waste management
  • failure to comply with a waste receptacle notice (commercial businesses only)
  • engine idling
  • smoking in a place no smoking is allowed
  • failure to display no smoking signs
  • abandoning a vehicle or other item
  • nuisance parking

you must pay your Canterbury City Council fine online.

If your fine reference starts with two letters and was issued for breaching a Community Protection Notice or a Public Spaces Protection Order, you must pay your breach fine online.

Fixed penalty notice charges
EPA section Offence Fine
Section 33 Flytipping £1000, no early payment option
Section 34 Failing a duty of care to prevent escape of waste £500, reduced to £300 if paid in 10 days
Section 46 Domestic waste £60
Section 47 Commercial waste £100
Section 87/88 Littering £200, reduced to £100 if paid in 10 days
n/a Breach of a PSPO £100
n/a Breach of a CPN £100
n/a Engine idling £20, increased to £40 if unpaid
n/a Abandoning a vehicle £200

Appealing a fixed penalty notice

There are no grounds for appealing an FPN through us if they are issued for a criminal offence. Appeals will need to be made via the Magistrates' court, who are responsible for managing them.

However, if you feel that there are mitigating circumstances that should be considered, you can write to us.