Apply to keep a pet in a council home

If you live in a council home you must check with us before you get a pet. Depending on the type of property you live in, there are different rules.

  • If you have a garden, you can keep a pet in your home as long as it doesn't cause a nuisance.  
  • If you live in a home that does not have its own garden, you must get our permission to keep any pet that needs outdoor exercise.  
  • If you are moving to, or living in, sheltered housing, you must discuss keeping a pet with the Independent Living Team

Apply for permission to keep a pet in your council home

If you are given permission to keep pets

You must not:

  • keep any animal which has been classified as dangerous under the Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976
  • keep livestock (farm animals) at the property
  • allow your pets to cause a nuisance, for example, fouling shared areas such as lifts, stairs and landings, or making too much noise
  • allow any animal you keep at the property to cause a nuisance to anyone in the local area, including our staff

If you live in a property with shared areas, you must exercise your pet away from the property.