Swap your council house with someone

You can swap homes with council or Housing Association tenants in the UK if they have the right to swap.

To swap homes (sometimes called a mutual exchange) you need to register your details on the national home exchange website.

If you're approved you will be given a unique reference number to start searching for a house.

Once you've found someone to swap homes with, you need to apply to us for permission. It's important you see the new house in person before you apply, as you have to accept it in the state offered.

Apply to swap your home

When we get your application form, we'll check you haven't breached your tenancy.

We'll then arrange an inspection of your house, and once we've given written permission for you to swap homes, you'll need to arrange a moving date with the other person.